Tuesday, 28 February 2012

What I'm Reading and Listening to: Heather Martin

Heather is a Masters student in the second semester of her degree. Originally from Summerside, PEI, she did her undergraduate degree at Mount Allison University in New Brunswick. 


One of the best things about living in St. John's (since moving here in September) is the amazing local literature and music that I've discovered.

Although I'm quite busy with my MA course work, I have recently started reading Patrick Warner's Double Talk on the side. Published in 2011, the novel is set in St. John's and focuses on the complexities of a romantic relationship between Violet Budd and Brian Power. It's been marketed as a "love story in reverse" but the resemblance to How I Met Your Mother stops there. While the story shifts between the present and the past over a fourteen-year period, Warner portrays the perspectives of both characters and highlights the differences of interpretation that can be found in most romantic situations. I think Warner does an especially good job of narrating Violet's experiences in third-person.

I've had the chance to meet Mr. Warner a few times because he works in the Special Collections at the MUN Library, and he is a very personable guy. Although I haven't finished it yet, I'm really enjoying this novel and looking forward to reading more from him.

I have been enjoying the music of St. John's natives Hey Rosetta! for a few years now, but had my first opportunity to see them play live here in December. Since that performance, I have become even more of a crazy fan girl.


Through my appreciation for the group, I have also been introduced to The Head and the Heart, an indie folk-pop band from Seattle, WA. Although the groups are from the opposite coasts of North America, they share a musical connection, as both of them have toured with British rockers Gomez this past year. I can't wait to come across more local books and bands during my time here and find more gems.

No comments:

Post a Comment