1. What was your best grad school experience?
2. What was your worst grad school experience?
I’ll respond to 1 & 2 together. At the MA level the best experience was getting the green light to do a thesis on Heller’s Catch-22 at a time when it was being savaged by the reviewers. The worst experience was trying to complete the thesis while teaching three semesters back to back. At the PhD level the worst experience was being told early in the programme, by a professor for whom I had a great deal of respect, that he did not think I was PhD material! The best experience was being approached by the same professor some months later with an offer to supervise my thesis.
3. What was the place outside your home/apartment where you spent the most time?
My MUN office...from 8 pm to 1 or 2 am...day after day after...etc.
4. What text/book did you do in grad school that you never, ever want to encounter again?
The Sorrow of the Lonely and theBurning of the Dancers by Edward L. Schieffelin, with Sound and Sentiment: Birds, Weeping, Poetics, and Song in Kaluli Expression by Steven Feld...both of which are excellent ethnographies, just not my cup of tea.
5. What was your grad school comfort food?
Screech ... still is.